Just for fun, I wanted to see what would happen with just the default envelope weighting applied to the finished mesh, no tweaking at all, no blend shapes. A quick pose later, and here you go:
Ok, kinda messy; but I’m happy that (excepting the blown-out areas on the head, chest and elbows) the rig has enough deforming objects set up that even default weighting allows for some decent posing, especially in the face. And the controls set up for him are fairly intuitive and easy to use, I’m trying to keep as many of the controls as possible on-rig, so it feels like pulling around a puppet or claymation rig. Some features built into the rig so far:
- stretchy IK/FK switching on arms and legs
- stretchy IK/FK hybrid on torso and neck with parent switching
- volume preservation for stretchiness with multiplier control to alter the intensity of the effect
- bendy controls on arms, legs, torso, and neck
- auto eyelids with tweak controls for sculpting eyelid shape
Up next is getting the envelope weighting in shape, and adding corrective shapes on the face and joints.